<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Japanese at work 

It seems I may actually get a chance to use my Japanese at work after all. I was asked today to help facilitate communication on some weekly meetings someone at work has with some of the Japanese partners. Evidently not everyone from Japan involved in the meeting speaks English, so they have been having some of their people translate for those who don't. I'm going to sit in on the next meeting to see if I can get an idea of how well that process is going and to give feedback to the people here about how well the partners understand us, as well as give feedback about how well their translators are doing at translating things back into English for us. I'm a bit nervous, since I have no idea how much I'll actually be able to pick up, but it's exciting to have the opportunity to use my Japanese again, especially in an important role like this. The first meeting I'll be at is this coming Monday. Wish me luck :)

Another exciting thing is that today I found out that someone will be announcing something at such and such a time. The announcement is a little bit exciting for me, but I think most of the excitement is knowing about it ahead of time. Unfortunately I'm under an NDA so of course I can't tell anyone without a "need to know" about this, which is really hard. I hate having secrets that I can't tell anyone.

Also, today I found a sizable roach (alive, but on it's back with at least 1 leg missing) in my bathtub. I've never seen roaches in my apartment before, so I'm wondering where it came from. There's a strange pipe that goes into the ceiling above my bathtub, so my best guess is that it fell down from up there. I'm not sure what the pipe is for, so part of me just wants to tape it up so that nothing can come through it.

Comments:
I think the hardest part of translating would be the technical terms.
 
I'll guess the pipe has something to do with the air conditioner fan up there.
 
You're not adapting to Texas properly. I think the local response to unwanted things coming in through a pipe would be to put a bullet up it ^^
Tell us how the translating goes.
 
I, however, haven't yet acquired any bullets or implements for putting them places. That makes your proposition fairly difficult.
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?