<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, August 08, 2005

Cats & DVDs 

On Friday I rented the first Kodocha DVD and the "The Cat Returns" DVD. I enjoyed "The Cat Returns," but mostly because I like cats. It's about a 17 year old girl who saved a cat from being hit by a truck, and as thanks the King of Cats invites her to come to the cat kingdom. There's a bit more to the story, but I don't want to give it away for those of you who might see it one day.

Anyway, the DVDs are due back Tuesday. I realized today that I don't know WHEN Tuesday they are due, so I tried calling the place. I got a recorded message saying that they're open Mon-Sat 11-9, and Sun 11-5 or something like that, so I decided to go return them today. Going to the rental place isn't all that easy, since it's hard for me to get anywhere by bus from where I live and if I bike I have to ride in the grass almost the entire way (there's way too much high speed traffic on the road). Also, it was storming until just before I left, so everything was wet.

When I finally got there, I discovered that the phone message was old, as there is a sign on the door saying that starting some time in June (or perhaps it was July?) they would no longer be open on Mondays. Unfortunately, they don't have a drop box, so I will have to go back again tomorrow to return the DVDs, and hope that it's due by the end of the day.

Anyway, I told you that story so that I could tell you this one. The trip, as it turns out, wasn't a complete waste. On the way back I was cutting though a strip mall, and debating about stopping at the Jack-in-the-Box for dinner. While debating about it I rode around in the vicinity to find a place to lock my bike while I went to go get the "food." Finding nothing all that suitable, I was about to just leave when I noticed a stray cat staring at me. It was a beautiful (but a bit scrawny) grey cat, and it looked hungry. The cat followed me at a distance for a while, and eventually I decided to get something at Jack-in-the-Box after all so that I could give part of my dinner to this cat. So I locked my bike to a fence near where the cat was, and went and got a Jumbo Jack (burger) and two tacos. I ripped off part of the burger and put it on the ground near the cat, and then went back to my bike to eat. The cat stared at me for a while, and then slowly walked up to the burger, sniffed at it, and then walked back to where it had been and kept staring at me. Eventually it walked up to the burger again, sniffed at it again, and then walked away. As I was finishing my portion of the burger, another cat (this one a bit scrawnier and uglier) appeared, and walked up to the burger. It sniffed it, looked at me, licked the burger a few times, and then walked to a nearby trash can to see if there was anything to eat there.

Moral of the story: Hungry cats won't eat a burger from Jack-in-the-Box, so chances are I probably shouldn't be eating one either.

I'm really tempted to buy a can of cat food the next time I go to HEB (the local grocery store chain).

PS. In other DVD news, I just purchased the "The Princess Bride" (aka "The Best Movie Ever") DVD. It's one of the few movies I've thought it would be worthwhile to have on DVD. The other movie on that (very short) list is "Animal Crackers," one of the Marx Brothers movies.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?