Monday, June 13, 2005
Moving to Austin, Day 1
Well, today I started the trip to Austin. I'm driving down with my parents, and should arrive there Wed. evening.
We booked a Best Western in Rolla, MO for tonight, but when we got there the place was about Motel 6 quality. It was supposed to have wireless broadband in the rooms, but we got nothing in our room. We walked around with our laptops running sniffer programs, and managed to find 2 rooms on the first floor that seemed to have usable signal strength. We asked about being switched to one of those rooms at the front desk, but both of the rooms were occupied. After trying for some time with them to figure out a good solution, I finally asked them to cancel our reservation and let us go to a place down the road, which they reluctantly did. We went about 50 feet, and found a Holiday Inn Express which was less than $10 more and is definitely worth the small extra cost.
I looked online for places to eat for dinner, and discovered that about another 50 feet down the road is a place called Kyoto Japanese Restaurant. It's a family-run Japanese and Chinese restaurant that has good food and good prices (only about $10 for a dinner, compared to about $20 at the ones back in Madison, and the food here was just as good if not better). I got vegetable tempura, which was good (but unfortunately didn't have any mushrooms). For desert my parents got red bean ice cream and mango mochi ice cream. I tried both, and they were both good.
After dinner we were looking around a bit on our way out, and walked past the sushi bar. From talking with the waitress I knew that the only Japanese guy there was the guy running the sushi bar (the rest of the family seems to be Taiwanese). I'd looked at the sushi menu before dinner, and was disappointed (though not surprised) to find that they didn't have kampyou-maki, a favorite of mine from Japan. I haven't seen it at any Japanese restaurant since coming back. On a whim I asked him, in Japanese, if they had it, and he said they did. I asked how much, and he hesitated and then said $3.00. We chatted a bit more in Japanese, and then my parents came over and talked with him in English for a bit. I asked him to make me some kampyou-maki, and when it came time to pay for it the cashier (who is his wife) asked him how much? He winked at her (or so my mom tells me) and he told her to charge me $1.70 for it, which is what she did. I like this place :)
So if you're ever near Rolla, Missouri, I would suggest that you go to the Kyoto Japanese Restaurant. I certainly will.
(Please let me know about any typos in this post; I haven't gotten much sleep and am tired from the trip today).
We booked a Best Western in Rolla, MO for tonight, but when we got there the place was about Motel 6 quality. It was supposed to have wireless broadband in the rooms, but we got nothing in our room. We walked around with our laptops running sniffer programs, and managed to find 2 rooms on the first floor that seemed to have usable signal strength. We asked about being switched to one of those rooms at the front desk, but both of the rooms were occupied. After trying for some time with them to figure out a good solution, I finally asked them to cancel our reservation and let us go to a place down the road, which they reluctantly did. We went about 50 feet, and found a Holiday Inn Express which was less than $10 more and is definitely worth the small extra cost.
I looked online for places to eat for dinner, and discovered that about another 50 feet down the road is a place called Kyoto Japanese Restaurant. It's a family-run Japanese and Chinese restaurant that has good food and good prices (only about $10 for a dinner, compared to about $20 at the ones back in Madison, and the food here was just as good if not better). I got vegetable tempura, which was good (but unfortunately didn't have any mushrooms). For desert my parents got red bean ice cream and mango mochi ice cream. I tried both, and they were both good.
After dinner we were looking around a bit on our way out, and walked past the sushi bar. From talking with the waitress I knew that the only Japanese guy there was the guy running the sushi bar (the rest of the family seems to be Taiwanese). I'd looked at the sushi menu before dinner, and was disappointed (though not surprised) to find that they didn't have kampyou-maki, a favorite of mine from Japan. I haven't seen it at any Japanese restaurant since coming back. On a whim I asked him, in Japanese, if they had it, and he said they did. I asked how much, and he hesitated and then said $3.00. We chatted a bit more in Japanese, and then my parents came over and talked with him in English for a bit. I asked him to make me some kampyou-maki, and when it came time to pay for it the cashier (who is his wife) asked him how much? He winked at her (or so my mom tells me) and he told her to charge me $1.70 for it, which is what she did. I like this place :)
So if you're ever near Rolla, Missouri, I would suggest that you go to the Kyoto Japanese Restaurant. I certainly will.
(Please let me know about any typos in this post; I haven't gotten much sleep and am tired from the trip today).
Comments:
Post a Comment