<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, February 01, 2005

My future 

Well, for all of those who are wondering whether I decided to go with National Instruments or Intel, you can wonder no longer. I opted for IBM :)

I had gotten an extension on my deadline for the Intel offer, and about a week before both the NI and Intel decisions were due I finally got an offer from IBM. It was from the people I'd done the internship with, and after much deliberation I decided to accept it. They offered significantly more than the other two companies as far as salary goes, but the main reasons I chose IBM were:

- It's a rotation program. I will be working in 3 different areas for 6 months each. This is a good chance for me to try to figure out what I really would enjoy doing, instead of trying to guess.

- It's with people I know (to some extent) from my previous internship there

- It's in Austin (this is only a count against Intel, since NI is also in Austin)

Oh, and I'll be part of the Emerging Products Division, or something like that. Which includes things like the Cell Processor that Sony and Toshiba are developing with IBM. One thing that I was told I might have to do as part of my job is help facilitate communication between the Japanese and American engineers, which should be fun, but is a bit scary. Anyway, those of you who are interested in this processor, which is RUMORED to be what Sony will use in the PS3, should watch the news in the next week, as these companies are planning to present the processor at a conference around Feb. 6.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?