Monday, July 05, 2004
China
As you may or may not know, my family is now in China. They're going to be helping teach English at a university there for about a month. Today my father finally was able to connect to the internet and, and so I've spent a bit of time this evening reading about what they've seen so far in China. In some ways I'm glad I'm not there, since it now sounds like it's a lot harder than I imagined (nevertheless, I think it would have been a good growing experience for me). Some of the anecdotes brought tears to my eyes. So much pain. So much poverty. So much hopelessness. When I heard that they were going, I had no idea it would be like this. For some reason I thought their experience would be similar to what I've had here in Japan, but this has shown me how wrong I was, and makes me feel like an idiot. Compared to going to China, coming to Japan was really more like going from one coast of the US to the other (something I haven't done, but hear me out). There are lots of things that are different and surprises that I didn't expect, but I found it comparatively easy to adjust. It's possible to almost live "as if I was back home" here. I don't think that would be the case in China.
Sorry for this rant if it's a bit incoherent. I just finished reading what my dad wrote, and it's a bit more than my brain can handle right now. I feel like I need to say something or write something about this, but I don't really know what I want to say.
Sorry for this rant if it's a bit incoherent. I just finished reading what my dad wrote, and it's a bit more than my brain can handle right now. I feel like I need to say something or write something about this, but I don't really know what I want to say.
Comments:
Post a Comment