Wednesday, June 02, 2004
Random Thoughts II
Wed. 6/2
So it's been quite a while since this site has seen any activity. I blame this mostly on 3 things: FF7 (the Japanese version, mind you), classes (including a presentation in Japanese), and Summer Snow (a japanese drama).
Anyway, on to the random thoughts:
- I was looking through some of Pontus' posts, and found one that linked to pictures of where he's from back in Sweden. I took a look, and my first thought was, "Look at all those white people!" which was followed quickly by the thought, "I've been in Japan WAY too long. I'm going to be astonished by all the white people I see around back home." Of course, I this doesn't change my feeling that I'd like to stay here longer than I'll be able to. And when I came I thought a year was going to be a really long time.
- In my listening class we are watching an anime movie called "Nausicaa: Valley of the Wind". This was made by one Mr. Miyazaki, who is well know in the anime world. The reason we are watching it in class is that in the survey the teacher handed out on the first day of class many people reported that they liked anime. Given this background, I found it a bit weird that the teacher was surprised that more than a few of the people in the class have already seen it. He seemed to expect that very few people would have seen it. Seems like a bad assumption to me, since almost everyone that I know who likes anime has seen a fair number of Miyazaki's films.
- Zen has been added to the number of the people I know who are putting their lives online in the form of a livejournal. His can be found here: http://www.livejournal.com/users/zensuke/
- I never realized just how much American food is made using an oven. My family will be coming to visit in August, and so we decided it would be good if we cooked some "American" food for my host family here. The problem is, like almost all houses in Japan, my host family's house doesn't have an oven. And trying to come up with food that we usually eat that doesn't require an oven has been much more problematic than I first though it would be. This, however, does explain why I don't see home baked goods anywhere. I'd been wondering about that for a long time, and it simply hadn't occurred to me that the people here don't have ovens to bake things in.
- When someone finds money (let's say 3 nicely folded $10 bills, for example) in a trash can, but instead of taking it tells other people and then one of those other people takes the money and keeps it, what is the correct reaction for the person who found it to have? I've been pondering this question for a while, as it's not entirely hypothetical.
So it's been quite a while since this site has seen any activity. I blame this mostly on 3 things: FF7 (the Japanese version, mind you), classes (including a presentation in Japanese), and Summer Snow (a japanese drama).
Anyway, on to the random thoughts:
- I was looking through some of Pontus' posts, and found one that linked to pictures of where he's from back in Sweden. I took a look, and my first thought was, "Look at all those white people!" which was followed quickly by the thought, "I've been in Japan WAY too long. I'm going to be astonished by all the white people I see around back home." Of course, I this doesn't change my feeling that I'd like to stay here longer than I'll be able to. And when I came I thought a year was going to be a really long time.
- In my listening class we are watching an anime movie called "Nausicaa: Valley of the Wind". This was made by one Mr. Miyazaki, who is well know in the anime world. The reason we are watching it in class is that in the survey the teacher handed out on the first day of class many people reported that they liked anime. Given this background, I found it a bit weird that the teacher was surprised that more than a few of the people in the class have already seen it. He seemed to expect that very few people would have seen it. Seems like a bad assumption to me, since almost everyone that I know who likes anime has seen a fair number of Miyazaki's films.
- Zen has been added to the number of the people I know who are putting their lives online in the form of a livejournal. His can be found here: http://www.livejournal.com/users/zensuke/
- I never realized just how much American food is made using an oven. My family will be coming to visit in August, and so we decided it would be good if we cooked some "American" food for my host family here. The problem is, like almost all houses in Japan, my host family's house doesn't have an oven. And trying to come up with food that we usually eat that doesn't require an oven has been much more problematic than I first though it would be. This, however, does explain why I don't see home baked goods anywhere. I'd been wondering about that for a long time, and it simply hadn't occurred to me that the people here don't have ovens to bake things in.
- When someone finds money (let's say 3 nicely folded $10 bills, for example) in a trash can, but instead of taking it tells other people and then one of those other people takes the money and keeps it, what is the correct reaction for the person who found it to have? I've been pondering this question for a while, as it's not entirely hypothetical.
Comments:
Post a Comment