<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, December 23, 2003

Finally, a camera 

12/19/03 - Friday

I went in to my lab after my Japanese Business lecture and spent some time chatting with Dan (a friend I've known since 4th grade), but left lab earlier than usual because Nick (the guy who I met when I was getting stuff from the dead lady's house, not the guy who's in this exchange program with me) was having a party for his class (he teaches English) and he wanted some foreigners to come to his party. I took the bus back down to Kawauchi campus, and since I had about 15 to spare before the class I went to the co-op store to grab something quick to eat. It turns out that on some days they sell burgers from a popular chain here call Mosburgers, so I got one of those. It was OK, but I think it would have been better if it hadn't been cold.

When I went to the room I thought Nick had said it would be in I didn't see him or any other foreigner-looking people, so I thought maybe I'd gotten the room mixed up and I waited out in the hall. About 5 minutes after class was supposed to start he showed up, and said that he was moving the party to his office. He had me go to his office to wait while he brought his class. At first they seemed fairly shy (even though they are college students they were hesitant about entering the room when they saw me sitting there), but after a while I had a group of about 6 people or so talking with me in English. I was surprised by the way that Nick ran his class. He constantly made jokes ("And here is the coffee. This is my cup, so you can't use it. If you want to drink coffee, you'll have to use your hands. The water is hot, so be careful not to burn yourselves." or ", do you like chocolate? Well, that's too bad because today only the boys get to eat chocolate.") that the students had a bit of trouble getting, but they seemed not to mind too much. When I was talking with them they said that at first he was really scary, but now it was fun ever though they still have trouble figuring out his sense of humor.

After the party I came back to my room and spent most of the rest of the evening playing an old Mac game called "The Fool's Errand," which is now freeware. This is a puzzle game, where you have to figure out different patterns and word puzzles and things like that. It is the same sort of game as "System's Twilight" and "3 in Three."

12/20/03 - Saturday

I happened to see Lars Saturday morning as I was doing laundry, and asked him if he had any interesting plans for the weekend. It turns out that he'd gotten some tickets to a free concert, but the people he was planning on going with had decided not to go, so he invited me to go with him. The concert started at 2:00, so we decided to meet at 1:00 to ride our bicycles over to the concert hall. After the concert I was going to go to Yodabashi Camera and buy a digital camera so that I would have one to take pictures of things I saw over the holidays.

As I was doing my laundry I noticed that it was snowing a little bit, as it has been doing for the last month or so. Small flakes that melt as soon as they touch anything. They're really hardly noticeable, and I was somewhat disappointed that this was all the snow that Sendai was going to get. However, when we met at 1:00 to go to the concert there was a real snow storm outside. There were huge flakes falling and our bikes were covered with snow. We headed out anyway, riding slowly because it was hard to see and because it was fairly slippery. By the time we'd gotten to the edge of downtown my pants were soaked from all the snow that melted on them. I could actually see my legs through my pants, they were that wet. Since we were wet and cold and the concert hall was still a fair distance away we decided not to go to the concert after all. We parked our bicycles in the same place I parked mine on Thursday for the Bounenkai and then walked to Yodabashi. There Lars went to go look at the laptops while I looked at the cameras. Previously I'd decided that I wanted to get the Minolta DiMAGE Xt, which is the camera that Lars got a while ago. The price he'd paid was about $100 more than what I saw it online for, so I had thought I would just get it online to save money. Unfortunately by this time there's no way I'd get it before vacation if I ordered it online, so I resigned myself to pay the higher price. When I got to the place where they had my model I saw that they had 2 prices for it listed, and both of them were lower than what Lars had told me he paid. I asked one of the attendants (there were attendants everywhere!) what the two prices were, and he said that the higher one was the normal price and that the lower one was today's price. That particular model was on sale for 37,450¥ (plus tax, putting the total at 39,322¥) that day only (which I think is approximately what I saw it online for)! I bought it, and signed up for their "Gold Point Card" when I did. Basically, a certain percentage of all your purchases gets put onto the card as points, and you can use those points (1 point = 1¥) toward purchases starting the day after you get the points. I now have 7,865 points on my card, which I will use when I go back to buy a bigger memory card (the camera came with only a 16MB card). They also gave me a free CD called "Happy Christmas" which has 5 instrumental Christmas songs (like "White Christmas" and "Silent Night").

After getting my camera I headed over to the cell phone area to ask about a Bluetooth adapter for my phone again. The guy I asked phoned au and after a while came back and said that this store doesn't carry it but that they could order it for me for "around 30,000¥," at which point I said no thanks and went to find Lars. I think that must be a mistake, because the phone itself only cost me about 4,000¥.

After Yodabashi we walked around in the shopping arcade for a while looking for Christmas presents. Lars wanted to get some chopstick rests for someone (Christain?), and so we looked in several stores. The problem was that he wanted to get some that looked Japanese, but those always cost about twice as much as the other ones the stores had. He finally ended up getting 4 wooden ones at 500¥ each at one of the stores. I didn't get anything, but there was one store that had something I thought my sister would love (I might get one for myself as well though, since it was soooo cute). One thing that surprised me is how expensive some of the stuff we saw was. There were chopsticks that we saw which were priced at over 10,000¥. I can't imagine that they really are able to sell things like that.

At this point I decided that while we were in the area I'd like to take a look at Book Off, so we headed over there and I ended up getting 2 CDs at 750¥ each. One is the first soundtrack of Hunter X Hunter and the other is the soundtrack of Princess Mononoke. Finally I'm able to own some of the anime music I've had in MP3s before. I plan to pick up more CDs as I find them. I also took a look at the DVDs, but despite the fact that this is a used book/media store, the prices were still higher for the used DVDs than they are for new DVDs back home, so if I'm going to buy anime DVDs I think I'm better off buying them back home, since then they are the correct region and they'll have English subtitles. The only exceptions would be series that haven't been released back in the states, which I may buy here if I can find them. The one series I'm particularly interested in getting on DVD is Kodomo no Omocha (Child's Toy in English). This hasn't been released in the US, and it is probably my favorite anime series. I've looked online for it, and all I've been able to find are the Hong Kong DVDs, which I'm hesitant to buy. They're priced reasonably, but from what I've heard most HK anime DVDs are not legal. They're made by someone who rips the Japanese DVDs, adds (often poorly done) English subtitles, and sells them cheap (Kodocha is about 104 eps, and they sell these on 6 DVDs for a total of $120). Since the series is somewhat old, it may be that the only Kodocha DVDs sold now are HK DVDs, in which case I may get those if I fail to find an alternative while I'm in Japan.

After Book Off we headed to a coffee shop so that Lars could buy a Christmas present for his lab tutor. She'd recommended this shop as a good place for him to buy a present for a lady who'd invited him to come over to her house, so he thought that if she recommended it she'd probably like something from that place as well. He got her a set of Maple Tea and sugar cubes.

Having gotten that present we finally headed back to the kaikan, getting back at about 5:00 pm. I'd heard that there was going to be a festival downtown that evening that Haesung and some others were going to go to, so I thought I'd go with them, but I guess they'd left by the time I got back. After playing with my camera for a little while I went out to see who else was around, and found Mitsu playing DDR in Norm's room. I watched him play for a while, and then played 2 rounds myself before leaving to go make dinner. While we were playing DDR Haesung emailed us (on our cell phones) to tell us that the online movie schedule had lied and that there was no 9:00 pm screening of "The Last Samurai," so we still haven't been able to go see it.

I'd heard Joey talking about watching part of an anime series called "Azumanga Daioh" with Norm, so I went to see if Norm had it on CD. He said that the CDs were Gorge's but that the last he'd heard about them was that Pontus had them. I went to see if Pontus still had them, but he wasn't in his room so I left a note on his door. On my way back to my room I happened to see him going somewhere, so I asked him about the CDs and he said he'd given them back to George. He gave me George's room number and so I went and knocked on George's door. He gave me the CDs of the episodes he has (1-8), and told me that he and some others were watching Scrapped Princess in Jason's room and I was welcome to join them if I wanted to. I told him I'd join them once I'd finished eating dinner (I'd made ramen for dinner, but was letting it cool while I tried to track down the CDs). After dinner I went up to join them, and found that Jason, Joey, George, Pontus, and Petr were already there watching. We watched several episodes, but stopped at about 9:00 pm. I'd already seen the first 12 episodes, but the first 8 I'd seen much earlier this year so I didn't remember most of what happened anymore. 9-12 I'd watched earlier this week or perhaps last week. Watching those earlier episodes I noticed a lot of small details that became more important later on in the series but which hadn't seem important the first time I'd seen them.

After talking for about an hour with the guys, I headed back to my room. Mitsu and the others had built a snow man outside his window, and I figured since I had a camera it would be the perfect opportunity to try it out. The pictures of this snow man should be posted shortly in the pictures section. I think the people who built this may have been inspired by a certain popular comic :)

By the way, I think it probably snowed about 3 inches Saturday afternoon. The snow had stopped by the time Lars and I were returning home, but whereas riding downtown had been dangerous because it was slippery and visibility was bad, riding back was dangerous because all of the snow had turned into slush from people walking and riding on it and then when the sun set this slush turned to ice. It was really hard to stay balanced because the rough, irregular ice on the sidewalks and sides of the streets kept trying to turn your wheel toward one side or the other.

12/21/03 - Sunday

During the Bible study this morning we didn't actually spend much time talking about the passage we read. Instead, Lars had made a comment to the effect that he believed in the existence of God and humans, but not in the existence of the Devil or demons or angels. He said he thought of "evil" as just a sort of "lack of God." This sparked a discussion about the existence of these entities and their nature (for example if they can make you do something you don't want to do or without you knowing you're doing it). I wish we'd had a concordance to look up some of the passages Fransisco and I were trying to refer to in the discussion. Of the three of us I think Fransisco knows the Bible the best. I asked Lars how much of the Bible he'd read and he said that his experience with the Bible was basically limited to sermons he'd heard and the preparation lessons they'd given him before he taught Sunday school for little kids in his church each week. Since these lessons were for little kids they didn't really cover things like angels and demons and the Devil.

One thing that Lars said really bothered me. He's part of a musical group at his church, and one of his friends wrote 2 extra verses for one of the songs they played. One of these verses said something about God being more powerful than th Devil. At one point they were going to play this song for the church, and a Priest there told them that they couldn't use those extra verses because there were going to be children present and he didn't want to put the idea of the Devil into their minds. This bothered Lars because he liked the verses, but this really bothers me because it seems so manipulative. I understand that the priest doesn't want to put bad ideas into their minds, but it seems to me that he's trying to manipulate these kids into "becoming" Christians by controlling what they hear and what they don't hear. How can anyone really make the choice to become a Christian without knowing of the existence of the Devil?

Any thoughts any of you have on this sort of thing would be appreciated.

Anyway, after the Bible study I borrowed Lars's shampoo (the kind he bought here) since I'm almost out of the shampoo I brought with me and I need to find something here to use once I run out. It wasn't bad, but it had a scent that I found slightly annoying, so I think I'll try something else. I don't really like scented things in general; I use unscented deodorant, shampoo, soap, and laundry detergent back home. I think the reason I don't like scents (including perfume) is that I tend to be allergic to some of it (especially stuff that smells like flowers). Also, smelling it for a little while can sometimes be pleasant, but it can get really annoying or distracting if the scent doesn't go away.

I spent the afternoon watching the 8 episodes of Azumanga Daioh that I got from George and then taking a nap. Azumanga is fairly funny, and I have the feeling that this affected my dream during my nap, although I don't remember it anymore. Speaking of dreams, I've noticed that recently my dreams have been located in Japan, or at least a place filled with Japanese people and a few foreigners. I know this because I can remember some conversations where I've been trying to explain something in Japanese to a Japanese person, but those conversations happened in places I've never been. So even in my dreams I'm practicing Japanese :)

At church this evening the pastor gave a sermon about Simeon and Anna. The sermon was OK, and I was glad to have a sermon that was about Christmas. I'm not sure if I'll be able to go to a Christmas Eve service or not. I'm going to Morita-san's family's house (it's here in Sendai) on the 23rd, and will be staying there until some time after New Year's day. I don't know if I'll do something with them on Christmas Eve/Day or not. If not, I may join Lars and Fransisco and some others. They're planning on going to an onsen (hotspring) on Christmas Eve, and have invited me to go along.

This was the last Sunday before Brian goes back to England. I don't know if I've mentioned him before, but he's one of the guys I've gotten to know at church. I brought my camera along, so I was able to get some pictures with him. The poses were his idea, which also explains a bit about his personality. He was a fun guy.

On the way back from church I stopped at Seiyu to pick up some tape so that I could wrap the presents I have for Morita's family. I also ended up buying some food and some shampoo. I decided to try one that says (in English) "SHAMPOO Contains seaweed extract and marine note fragrance. 100% botanical cleansing agent." Hopefully I'll be able to tolerate the smell.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?