<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, November 07, 2003

Panther 

11/7/03

On Tuesday night Mitsu showed up while I was playing Tales of Phantasia. I showed him that I was playing the Japanese game, patched with an english language patch and an English language dub of the intro song and all the sound effects that some people on the internet made. He was quite impressed. After that he asked if he could play DDR, and I said sure.

After playing one song with Mitsu, Tim showed up and wanted to play as well, so I let the two of them play for a while. The both knew the music for some of the songs, but Tim wasn't very good at following the arrows. Tim was able to pass some 1 foot songs on Beginner, and Mitsu was able to pass most of the songs he played on Beginner and a few on Standard. Mitsu said that he can't handle jumps that aren't Up-Down or Left-Right.

After they were done playing Mitsu watched me play doubles for a while, and then went to bed. I stayed up for maybe another hour playing doubles.

Wednesday I slept in, then went to class and my lab. I seem to have caught I cold sometime Tuesday night or Wednesday morning. I've been trying to drink lots of water, I've been taking some Esperitox (or something like that) that is supposed to help fight colds, and I've been doubling my dose of Vitamin C.

Wednesday I found that my Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) install disks had finally come, so I spent most of the afternoon and evening in my lab installing and then playing with Panther. I experienced one lockup when I was installing Xcode Tools (I think the installer tried to take up way more memory than was available, and I was running quite a bit of stuff in the background), but other than that it's been really nice. Some control panels and options and things have been relocated and finding them has been a pain, but all in all I think I like it better than Jaguar. I especially like Expose, and the new Finder has been growing on me.

Anyway, I didn't leave campus until about midnight. On the way back I noticed that (not counting taxis) I saw more people riding bicycles than driving cars. I didn't expect the streets to be that busy at night.

Thursday I finally asked my professor whether he'd gotten together stuff for me to work on for my research yet. He said "Didn't the other guys talk to you?" When I said no, he said he'd give me some documents to read on Friday.

Thursday night I spent a long time listening to Tim, Joey, Norm, and various other people who came and went talk about the new Matrix movie. They'd all gone to see it open at 11 PM on Wed. night, and weren't all that pleased. Norm and Tim say they want to see it again, since they can't decide if they liked it or not, but Joey didn't like it at all. I may end up going to see it with some of the other guys tonight (Friday) if I can find them before they go.

Most of the people in the discussion had come on their rolling desk chairs, so we spent a while having sort of a rolling chair party, and then moved into the lounge to watch an episode of "The Family Guy" since Norm had the DVDs. Lane and Nick and some others joined us for a while, and then started rolling into each other with their chairs in the hallway.

After they closed the lounge at 11 PM, they went into Norm's room to play Soul Caliber II, so I went back to my room and ended up re-watching the first few episodes of Hikaru no Go (an anime about a kid who plays Go), but I covered up the bottom of my screen so that I couldn't see the subtitles and would have to listen to the dialog. I understood a fair amount, but I'm not sure if I would have understood even half that much if I hadn't seen it with subtitles this spring/summer. I'm surprised at how much of it I remembered.

Today (Friday) I slept in until 10:00 (since my one class today was canceled), and didn't end up getting to my lab until about 1:00. There are some documents (I can choose pile A or pile B) for me to read, and then I have to give a PowerPoint presentation on what I read on Nov. 21.

I've also been asked to participate in the Eki-den (a 10K relay race around campus that all the labs compete in. I think there is prize money), and was told that my leg would only be 200m (or was it 2k? I can't remember). Anyway, I think it should be fun, since I did run cross country in high school. The race is on Nov. 15.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?