<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, November 02, 2003

Hiking 

11/3/03

Yesterday at church Alana said that she and some other people were going to go hiking in Matsushima today, and so I gave her the email address of my phone so that once the plans were finalized she could let me know what was happening. I slept in until about 10:00 AM, and it wasn't until 10:30 that she finally emailed me. Her message said to meet them at Sendai station to catch the 12:03 PM train. I wasn't how often the busses would run today (today is Culture Day, a national holiday) and I didn't know how long it would take for the bus to get to the station and for me to get the right ticket I quickly ate my french toast and then rushed off to the stop. As I left the Int. House I saw a bus go by, and I thought "That might have been the last bus that would get me there in time," but it turned out that the bus going the other way came only about 6 minutes later, and I got to the station at about 11:40 AM. There I discovered that even though I knew I wanted to go to Nobiru station, I had no idea what the kanji for Nobiru looks like and thus was unable to buy the ticket from the ticket machines. Thankfully JR (Japan Railways) had several attendants standing near the ticket machines, and I was able to ask the guy what the kanji for Nobiru was. He also tried showing me how to operate the machine, and then told me that the line I wanted was on tracks 8 and 9, and that the next one came at 11:58.

After buying my ticket I thanked the guy and then ran to grab a Big Mac at the McDonald's in the station. When I came back, just as I was about to go through the gates to the tracks the guy who'd helped me earlier saw me and gave me instructions about how to go there and how to find tracks 8 and 9. I think he thought I was lost since I hadn't gone through yet. Part of his instructions he gave in English, so perhaps he also wanted to practice his English skills. I'm glad there are helpful attendants like him at the station, but it was sort of frustrating for me, since I knew everything I needed to know about riding the train except that I didn't know how to write the name of my stop in kanji (and the big fare table is just about the only place the stop names aren't also written in English).

Anyway, I made it to track 9 and saw that the sign above track 8 said the train would leave at 12:03, but the sign above track 9 said the train would leave at 11:58. This concerned me a bit since the email had said to meet at track 9 for the 12:03 train. At about 11:56 Alana and Tiffany came down. At 11:58 a train pulled up on track 9 and Alana said we should get on, so we did. It left shortly thereafter, which really surprised her. Evidently she had sent her husband Devon to go buy her lunch, and he was supposed to come with us. She also was confused because the train wasn't supposed to leave until 12:03, she thought. She went to ask the driver what was going on, and while she was gone the train went right past 2 stops without stopping. She discovered that this was the express train, and that if we got off at the first stop this one stopped at we would be able to catch the "local" train, which stops at every stop. She said she was used to the trains coming 10 - 15 minutes early, and then just sitting there until it's time to leave and didn't realize that there was an express train that left on the same route 5 minutes earlier.

We got off at the first stop the express stops at after Sendai Station, and waited for the train we had planned to be on, hoping that Devon figured out what had happened and was on that train. After about 20 minutes the train showed up, and a very upset Devon was indeed on it. He was quite angry at her, since he said that last night they'd gone over it several times that we would take the "local" train and not the express train.

About half way there Alan got on the train with us, bringing our numbers up to 5. Alan lives near where he got on, so that's why he didn't join us earlier (it's also why we were taking the local train and not the express, since the express does stop at Nobiru). They said the whole ride would take about 45 minutes, but I didn't time it so I really have no idea if that's how long it took.

We had to walk about 45 minutes from the station to get to Matsushima (shima is Japanese for island, but this "island" is connected to the mainland by a thin peninsula). most of the walk was along the beach, which was nice, but would have been much nicer if the weather had been nice. It was overcast, and although it didn't seem foggy, you couldn't see all that far. Some other parts of the walk included walking through an interesting forest and a small rice paddy.

The trees in the forest were all about the same height and looked sort of like bonsai trees, except that these were maybe 15 feet tall. What made them so interesting is that their trunks formed interesting shapes. None of them was completely strait. This forest (well, perhaps a better term would be "grove of trees," since it wasn't really big enough to call a forest) was actually on the way from the station to the beach.

On the beach there were cars/SUVs parked every so often, and people fishing. Quite a few of the fishermen had several fishing rods set up, but the didn't seem to be catching any fish.

After the beach we found a walking trail that passed right past a small rice paddy. The rice had been cut already and was stacked in big piles on either side of the trail. I ate one grain of rice, and it tasted fairly good. On the other side of the trail was a lake, on which we saw a big white bird. I don't think it was a crane, but I don't know all that much about birds so I'm not sure what kind of bird it might have been.

Soon after that we came to a trail that led up to a high point on the island (possibly the highest, although I couldn't see far enough to tell for sure). The trail was fairly steep and wasn't nearly as "processed" as many of the hiking trails I've been on in the US. In the US many trails are paved or at least have gravel. This trail had neither, although in places that had eroded they'd put down sand bags for you to step on. At the top there was a shelter, and big dial showing which direction various places were, and a big picture of the view from there with things labeled. The picture was nice, because at least with that we were able to see what we would have seen if the weather had been nice. What we saw from up there reminded me of a postcard I'd seen at Mt. Rushmore entitled "Mt. Rushmore in the fog." There was also some sort of pillar up there and people had left money in front of it. All of the coins I saw there were 1¥ and 5¥ coins, so all in all it probably wasn't worth all that much. We took a few pictures, talked for a while, and then walked back down.

We continued walking in the direction we'd been going when we found that trail, in hopes of finding a boat that we could take. A few stations before Nobiru there was evidently "the best Italian food around" at a really small restaurant near the station. This place only has four dishes on the menu, three of which are spaghetti, and the place only has about 3 tables. This is what they these guys told me, anyway. The plan was to try to take a boat there and eat dinner there, but we were unable to find a place to hire a boat. We finally stopped a guy riding a bicycle to ask him, and he said there wasn't any place to hire a boat to go there. He said that to walk back to Nobiru station would take about an hour, a cab there would cost about 2,000¥, and that it would get dark at about 4:30 PM (at the time it was already 4:08 PM). While we were talking with him we saw a cab go by, but that was the last cab we saw. I suggested that instead of waiting for another one to come by we start walking back to the station, which we did.

It was fairly dark by about 4:30, and street lamps were few and far between, so it was a bit hard to see. It started raining lightly, so we all got out umbrellas (although Devon didn't ever use his), and about halfway back we managed to find a bicycle path going the direction we were heading. At one point the path went past a huge field of flowers. They were all the same kind (and here my lack of flower knowledge prevents me from telling you what kind they were) but were colored in various shades of white and purple. They also smelled fairly good.

We managed to find our way back to the station and decided to buy tickets to the place this Italian restaurant was instead of all the way. You can always get your fare adjusted if it's different from what you've got a ticket for. When you buy a ticket you actually specify the amount you want the ticket to be for (instead of specifying where you want to go). Alan said that the last time he'd tried to go to the place he'd found out that it was closed on Mondays, but Devon thought that maybe since today was a national holiday they'd be open since they'd be able to get good business. At the stop for this place we could see the shop from the train, and it was quite obvious that the place wasn't open, so we didn't even get off. The train we were on was an express train, so it didn't take all that long for it to get back to Sendai Station.

Devon and Alana were going to meet Alita at a restaurant one station past Sendai Station, and invited Tiffany and me to join them, but we both declined. I was tired, and anyway on my way to the station I'd seen quite a few booths set up in the same park where they'd held the Yosakoi festivities. I was hoping to go there and find something good to eat. When Tiffany and I got off the train she went to a European bakery (called Saint Etoile) that was inside the the station, and since I hadn't know about the place I decided to take a look. I ended up buying a something that had a custard filling and also bought a slice of pizza. It's the first pizza I've had in Japan. It didn't taste all that great, but the custard thing was really good (but like usual I made the mistake of inhaling just before I took my first bite, resulting in me inhaling powdered sugar and having to cough for a while). Tiffany showed me how to use the fair adjustment machine and then left to take a train (on a different line) home.

I left the station, and since Daiei was on the way to the part I decided to stop there and play DDR. I inserted 200¥, and pushed the button on each side so that I could play doubles, and much to my dismay discovered that doing so started a 2 player VS. game. I don't know if this mix doesn't have double, or if there's just a weird way of getting to it. I ended up playing 3 songs on one side, letting the other side go to waste. Since I didn't want to waste any more money trying to figure out how to do doubles (and since I was still hungry) I left and walked to the park. When I got there they were in the process of packing the last two booths into trucks. There wasn't any food in sight, and the crowds of people I'd seen this morning were gone.

Disappointed that I wouldn't be able to experience the Japanese way of celebrating "Culture Day" I walked to the nearest bus stop, and discovered that the bus back wouldn't come for another 20 minutes. At that point I decide that I'd just walk back. Since I was running low on cereal I decided to try to find the first Seiyu store I'd found a few weeks ago and buy some more. I managed to find it with a bit of guesswork that turned out to be correct. There I spent probably 20 minutes walking up and down the aisles trying to find my cereal. The only cereal that I saw was some sort of chocolate flakes cereal that was in a big display at the end of one of the aisles. Frustrated, I picked up some pancake mix (well, here pancakes are called "Hot Cakes") and on my way out I discovered that instead of being on the shelf with the stuff that it's with in the Seiyu I frequent my cereal is on the bread display in the bakery area of this store. They sell it in two kinds of packages: 250g boxes and 400g bags. Up to this point I've been buying the boxes because they were on sale for cheaper than the bags. This time the sale was over, so the boxes now cost 308¥ again, but the bags are now on sale from today until 11/28 (if I recall correctly), and I think that now the bags come out to the same price per gram that the boxes used to. I'd have to check my receipts to be sure though. Anyway, I bought a bag, and then also grabbed a rice ball for 98¥ (well, it was actually a rice triangle not a rice ball). Since I haven't actually had one of those before, I figured I should try one. It was had an umeboshi (pickled plumb) in the middle, and tasted good enough that I think I'll probably buy them again. The rice was wrapped in seaweed, but part of the seaweed was folded into the folds of plastic that the thing came in, so I had some trouble getting the whole thing unwrapped. There were instructions about how to unwrap it on the package, but I wasn't able to read them in the dark (I was doing this as I was walking back to the Int. House).

I made it back by walking west until I hit a street that I recognized and then taking that street, which turned out to be a fairly good route. Now I know a decent way to get there and back, although I think I probably won't go there much since the one on the way back from campus is more convenient for me to stop at.

This evening (at 8 something) Nick came down the hall asking if anyone wanted to watch a movie (DVD) with him. He had one that I'd never heard of, but said that if people wanted to watch something else he'd be happy to do that as well. I was the only one who joined him, and looking through his DVDs I discovered that he had the Animatrix, which he said he hadn't watched yet. I was more interesting in seeing that than the one he'd planned on watching (he was going to watch one about some law case), so we watched it. I think he enjoyed it, and I certainly did. It was 8 or 9 sort of "short stories" related to the movie "The Matrix." All of these stories were animated, but the style of animation of each one was different. There was one I really liked (I can't remember what it's title was, but I do remember that the title was one word) which was basically about a girl looking for her cat. She and some children end up following the cat into an abandoned house in the city where the matrix is suffering from some bugs. Things (including people) can float in the air, things can be broken and then put together perfectly again, there's a spot about 2 feet by 2 feet where it's raining, and things like that. The story itself isn't all that interesting, but I liked the animation style, and especially the scenery. Within the first few seconds it was really obvious to both Nick and me that this one was set in Japan. Everything is the scenery looked so much like typical Japan that is was funny to watch. It made me think, "If I can find a copy of this I can send it home and my parents could watched it. That way they'd be able to see what it looks like where I live."

Right as the movie was ending there was a knock on the door, and Nick went to answer it. At the door was Lane dressed up as someone from the horror movie "The Ring," and he scared Nick. On Friday Nick had watched the Japanese version of "The Ring," and he's been having a really hard time trying to forget it. He said he's been sleeping with the light on the last three nights. Like me, he doesn't like horror movies, and this one is a pretty scary one. Anyway, Nick shut the door, and moments later his phone rang. I'm not sure exactly what Lane said when Nick picked it up, but it was another Ring reference (I haven't seen the ring, but evidently getting a phone call is an important part of the movie). At this point Nick snapped and went to shout at Lane, since he's told Lane several times that the movie really freaked him out and that he was trying to forget it. About one second after venting his frustration at Lane Nick apologized for snapping at him but said that he really wasn't joking when he said that he's been sleeping with the light on and that while Lane might think this was funny he really didn't find it at all amusing. Lane apologized, and then we all went our separate ways. It's now about 1:40 AM and I've been typing this since before midnight, so I think I'll stop here and get some sleep. I'm still pretty tired. Good thing that today and tomorrow are part of a university holiday and thus all my classes on these two days are canceled.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?