Saturday, November 01, 2003
French Toast
11/2/03
On Friday evening I stopped in briefly at the Halloween party, but there were only 3 people there. I didn't know any of them. One was dressed as a witch, and the other two weren't in costume as far as I could tell. I ended up doing my laundry that night, since I figured it wouldn't be nearly as busy on Friday night as it has been on Saturdays, which turned out to be a correct assumption.
Thursday night while cleaning out my hard drive I'd discovered the audio track for the Douglas Adams book "The Long Dark Tea Time of the Soul," so I'd added those to iTunes. Friday night about an hour before I left the lab this came up in the playlist, so I listened to it there and then on the way back to the Int. House. There I listened to the rest of it. The whole thing is about 6 hours long. For much of it I was laying on my bed under my covers, because I'd stupidly put all of my sweatshirts in the wash and then discovered that my room is cold. I hadn't thought of turning on the heater. I'm not sure if turning on the heater is a good idea though, since I've got part of my DDR pad under it. I'm also somewhat scared of using a gas heater. Anyway, I think I drifted in and out of sleep while listening to the book, so I'll have to listen to it again sometime to hear everything that I missed. It's an interesting book because it has all these seemingly random things that all end up being important in one aspect or another by the end.
Saturday I slept in until about 10 AM, which means I got about 10 hours of sleep, all of which I needed. After my shower I trimmed my beard (something I've been doing for years), and then trimmed about an inch off of my hair in the front. I've never really given myself a haircut before, but no one seemed to notice, which I regard as something of a success (I didn't mess it up too badly). I was too scared to trim the back, but I may do so later. Or I may just let the back grow into a pony tail. We'll see.
The rest of my day was spent watching the last episodes of Figure 17 (an anime series, but this one is unusual in that it has 45 min. episodes instead of 30 min. episodes), reading Yaiba, and then watching Joey and then Tim play a game called Eternal Darkness. This game wasn't actually all that interesting to me. It's like Myst, only instead of having beautiful graphics you have standard graphics, instead of challenging puzzles you have simplistic puzzles, and instead of being alone there are a bunch of zombies and things you have to kill. Also, it's a horror game. The only reason that I stayed to watch as long as I did was that with the four of us there (Norm, Tim, Joey, and me) we had fun poking fun at the game and at Joey's inability to play it. Norm really liked the game (he's beaten it) and kept saying "It's so much more fun when you take it seriously." Joey, Tim, and I don't really like horror, but love RPGs (role-playing games). Joey played it very much like a role-playing game (examine every part of a room and pick up anything you can carry before going to the next room), and had quite a bit of trouble with the combat system (stand in front of the guy and hit the button to swing your sword, or whatever weapon your character has).
Anyway, seeing them play that game made me want to play a real game instead, so when I got back to my room I went to see how far I'd gotten in some of the SNES games I've got on my laptop. I ended up playing a game called Illusion of Gaia until about 5 AM. This game isn't actually all that interesting, and is really, really easy. I think it was made for really little kids, since it was just about impossible to die, you had almost no freedom of movement, there were no weapons or armor etc. to buy, there were save points everywhere (save points healed you as well), and there was sort of a life system, so that as you killed the bad guys you gained lives. When you died if you had lives left you would just appear again at the beginning of the screen on which you died, or something like that. The reason I stayed up so late is that I got to one part of the game and told myself that I'd go to sleep after I beat that area. I didn't think it would be too much of a problem because I'd borrowed this game from Sorab a while back and had gotten further than the point where I'd said I'd stop. However, towards the end of this level there is a switch that I just can't figure out how to hit. I've tried everything I can think of and nothing seems to be working. I eventually went to bed when I convinced myself that there was no way I was going to be able to figure it out and decided to see if I can find the solution online.
Sunday morning I got up at 9:20 AM to go to the 9:30 Bible study. Except for Francisco and me, everyone was late, but we ended up having 5 people: Francisco, Monique, Lars, Nick, and me. After the study (a bit before 11) I went back to my room and went back to sleep. I ended up sleeping until 2:00 PM. Since I'd like to take advantage of the Daiei sale if I can, I went to the ATM to get some cash (I'd only had about 2,000¥ of cash left), but discovered that the ATM across the street is closed on weekends (weekdays it's open 9:30 AM to 6:00 PM). I asked Joey if he knew if any of the 77 Bank ATMs were open on Sundays, and he told me about one that's not too far away that is open on the weekends but charges 105¥ if you use it on the weekends. I went there, and since it was right next to a supermarket I'd never been to I decided to stop there. I bought a few things, including eggs, and headed back.
On Saturday morning Tim had asked me about what ingredients are required for making French Toast, which made me think "Hey, I have the ability to make French Toast!" Thus ever since then I've been planning it make French Toast, because that's one of the only things I really know how to cook (it also tastes really good). At about 3:30 PM, when I got back from the supermarket I made French Toast, which turned out quite well. I'd forgotten to get syrup, and I didn't have any cinnamon sugar, so I ended up just eating it plain. I've got three pieces left that I'll put in the fridge and save for breakfast tomorrow.
Tonight I went to church, and then stopped at Daiei before heading back. I think I spent about 5,000¥ at Daiei, but part of that was buying all 8 bottles of Lime Ginger Ale that were on the shelf. I wonder if that's all they had? It's certainly possible, because they had lemon Pepsi or something like that behind these. I also discovered that the 6th floor of Daiei has a video game arcade in the back. There they've got a DDR machine (3rd Mix Plus) which is 100¥ 1 player, 200¥ 2 player, and 100¥ to continue play. I didn't have time to play tonight though, since the busses stop running around 9:30 PM on Sundays.
The bus back stopped before getting to the stop I usually get off at, and the driver announced that this was the final stop. Everyone got off, but there seemed to be some other people on the bus (Japanese looking people) who seemed surprised that the bus didn't go any farther than this. It took about 5 min. to walk back from there to the Int. House, so it wasn't too bad (I recognized the place where it had stopped so luckily I didn't have to try to find my way lost and in the dark). The only reason I was surprised that this bus didn't go all the way to my stop is that in the materials that they gave us when we moved into the Int. House they told us that we could take any bus from stop #24 downtown to get back to the Int. House (half the busses run the loop one direction, the other half run it the other direction). I haven't ever heard of a bus from there not going to our stop, but evidently this Sunday 9:15 PM bus doesn't go all the way back. I'll try to remember that. I think that there may be one more bus that goes the other direction, so next time I'll see about taking that one.
On Friday evening I stopped in briefly at the Halloween party, but there were only 3 people there. I didn't know any of them. One was dressed as a witch, and the other two weren't in costume as far as I could tell. I ended up doing my laundry that night, since I figured it wouldn't be nearly as busy on Friday night as it has been on Saturdays, which turned out to be a correct assumption.
Thursday night while cleaning out my hard drive I'd discovered the audio track for the Douglas Adams book "The Long Dark Tea Time of the Soul," so I'd added those to iTunes. Friday night about an hour before I left the lab this came up in the playlist, so I listened to it there and then on the way back to the Int. House. There I listened to the rest of it. The whole thing is about 6 hours long. For much of it I was laying on my bed under my covers, because I'd stupidly put all of my sweatshirts in the wash and then discovered that my room is cold. I hadn't thought of turning on the heater. I'm not sure if turning on the heater is a good idea though, since I've got part of my DDR pad under it. I'm also somewhat scared of using a gas heater. Anyway, I think I drifted in and out of sleep while listening to the book, so I'll have to listen to it again sometime to hear everything that I missed. It's an interesting book because it has all these seemingly random things that all end up being important in one aspect or another by the end.
Saturday I slept in until about 10 AM, which means I got about 10 hours of sleep, all of which I needed. After my shower I trimmed my beard (something I've been doing for years), and then trimmed about an inch off of my hair in the front. I've never really given myself a haircut before, but no one seemed to notice, which I regard as something of a success (I didn't mess it up too badly). I was too scared to trim the back, but I may do so later. Or I may just let the back grow into a pony tail. We'll see.
The rest of my day was spent watching the last episodes of Figure 17 (an anime series, but this one is unusual in that it has 45 min. episodes instead of 30 min. episodes), reading Yaiba, and then watching Joey and then Tim play a game called Eternal Darkness. This game wasn't actually all that interesting to me. It's like Myst, only instead of having beautiful graphics you have standard graphics, instead of challenging puzzles you have simplistic puzzles, and instead of being alone there are a bunch of zombies and things you have to kill. Also, it's a horror game. The only reason that I stayed to watch as long as I did was that with the four of us there (Norm, Tim, Joey, and me) we had fun poking fun at the game and at Joey's inability to play it. Norm really liked the game (he's beaten it) and kept saying "It's so much more fun when you take it seriously." Joey, Tim, and I don't really like horror, but love RPGs (role-playing games). Joey played it very much like a role-playing game (examine every part of a room and pick up anything you can carry before going to the next room), and had quite a bit of trouble with the combat system (stand in front of the guy and hit the button to swing your sword, or whatever weapon your character has).
Anyway, seeing them play that game made me want to play a real game instead, so when I got back to my room I went to see how far I'd gotten in some of the SNES games I've got on my laptop. I ended up playing a game called Illusion of Gaia until about 5 AM. This game isn't actually all that interesting, and is really, really easy. I think it was made for really little kids, since it was just about impossible to die, you had almost no freedom of movement, there were no weapons or armor etc. to buy, there were save points everywhere (save points healed you as well), and there was sort of a life system, so that as you killed the bad guys you gained lives. When you died if you had lives left you would just appear again at the beginning of the screen on which you died, or something like that. The reason I stayed up so late is that I got to one part of the game and told myself that I'd go to sleep after I beat that area. I didn't think it would be too much of a problem because I'd borrowed this game from Sorab a while back and had gotten further than the point where I'd said I'd stop. However, towards the end of this level there is a switch that I just can't figure out how to hit. I've tried everything I can think of and nothing seems to be working. I eventually went to bed when I convinced myself that there was no way I was going to be able to figure it out and decided to see if I can find the solution online.
Sunday morning I got up at 9:20 AM to go to the 9:30 Bible study. Except for Francisco and me, everyone was late, but we ended up having 5 people: Francisco, Monique, Lars, Nick, and me. After the study (a bit before 11) I went back to my room and went back to sleep. I ended up sleeping until 2:00 PM. Since I'd like to take advantage of the Daiei sale if I can, I went to the ATM to get some cash (I'd only had about 2,000¥ of cash left), but discovered that the ATM across the street is closed on weekends (weekdays it's open 9:30 AM to 6:00 PM). I asked Joey if he knew if any of the 77 Bank ATMs were open on Sundays, and he told me about one that's not too far away that is open on the weekends but charges 105¥ if you use it on the weekends. I went there, and since it was right next to a supermarket I'd never been to I decided to stop there. I bought a few things, including eggs, and headed back.
On Saturday morning Tim had asked me about what ingredients are required for making French Toast, which made me think "Hey, I have the ability to make French Toast!" Thus ever since then I've been planning it make French Toast, because that's one of the only things I really know how to cook (it also tastes really good). At about 3:30 PM, when I got back from the supermarket I made French Toast, which turned out quite well. I'd forgotten to get syrup, and I didn't have any cinnamon sugar, so I ended up just eating it plain. I've got three pieces left that I'll put in the fridge and save for breakfast tomorrow.
Tonight I went to church, and then stopped at Daiei before heading back. I think I spent about 5,000¥ at Daiei, but part of that was buying all 8 bottles of Lime Ginger Ale that were on the shelf. I wonder if that's all they had? It's certainly possible, because they had lemon Pepsi or something like that behind these. I also discovered that the 6th floor of Daiei has a video game arcade in the back. There they've got a DDR machine (3rd Mix Plus) which is 100¥ 1 player, 200¥ 2 player, and 100¥ to continue play. I didn't have time to play tonight though, since the busses stop running around 9:30 PM on Sundays.
The bus back stopped before getting to the stop I usually get off at, and the driver announced that this was the final stop. Everyone got off, but there seemed to be some other people on the bus (Japanese looking people) who seemed surprised that the bus didn't go any farther than this. It took about 5 min. to walk back from there to the Int. House, so it wasn't too bad (I recognized the place where it had stopped so luckily I didn't have to try to find my way lost and in the dark). The only reason I was surprised that this bus didn't go all the way to my stop is that in the materials that they gave us when we moved into the Int. House they told us that we could take any bus from stop #24 downtown to get back to the Int. House (half the busses run the loop one direction, the other half run it the other direction). I haven't ever heard of a bus from there not going to our stop, but evidently this Sunday 9:15 PM bus doesn't go all the way back. I'll try to remember that. I think that there may be one more bus that goes the other direction, so next time I'll see about taking that one.
Comments:
Post a Comment